Monday, October 29, 2007

Revisiting the Inquiry Contract


Part I: Reflecting on your own writing

In his book, Inquiry and Genre, David Jolliffe proposes the following questions to consider when engaging in scholarly inquiry.


When the general public considers the subject I’m working with, what are the issues, questions or concerns that they think are important to discuss? Why would one compare Art courses to English courses?

Do these questions and concerns differ from those of the scholarly discourse community? I don't think they do. I'm sure I have to present a strong connection toanyone reading this essay.

In discussions of my subject, what are some of the status quo assumptions that appear to go unsaid but nonetheless seem almost universally believed? That art and english are separate and should stay that way. However, I don't think many have sat in the position I do.

In texts that people produce about my subject, what kinds of outcomes or results do they expect the texts to have with readers? Do writers about my subject usually expect a reader simply to consider their ideas, to believe in them strongly, to take some specific action? What?

No comments: