Monday, October 29, 2007

Inquiry Project Description

Topic: Do teachers in Art and English face the same problems of practice, process, and product?

I am interested in this topic because I have a strong interest and background in Art, Art Education, and Communications, and Intercultural Studies. I continually draw the same parallel issues that Crossroads brings up in Composition classes are also the same in Art. I believe that although the studies are separate in certificate it is a teacher issue across the board.

I want to know why teachers think they know better than theory and why there is such a struggle in changing practices as to not emphasize product over process.
What motivates me to learn about this topic is that since I am looking to become a teacher –at some level—I want to understand more about art education theory and compare it to English. I think it is valuable because most of the time people spend there time arguing how different they are, but they have a lot in common when it comes to teaching styles and emphasis on curriculum.

I think I know (1) teachers always think they know best and what they have found to work will not be challenged by some “theorist” & (2) creativity is handled the same way in the classroom with a paintbrush or pen.

The two questions that you could reasonably address in a seminar paper on your topic are: (1) What can we learn about education styles regarding creativity in American classrooms? (2) Why is it important to look beyond one’s department—comfort zone—to find an answer?

4 comments:

KOpal said...

Meghann,

I think this is a really interesting topic and I'd love to read the finished product. I have never been very artistically inclined, so I would like to see how you draw parallels between teaching "art" and teaching "composition." In my personal experience, this seems like a huge stretch! I think this concept is very cool and I would like to understand more about it. I think your paper could be especially effective if you integrated some of your own personal experiences as both a writer/artist into the mix.

Susan said...

Hi Meg!

So I really like how you're trying to bring all of your interests together in one research project here.

I think you make a very strong assumption when you say you think you know "teachers always think they know best and what they have found to work will not be challenged by some 'theorist'". I'd be interested to know how you will prove that - through interviews with teachers maybe? Do you, as a future teacher, think you know better than some "theorist"?

I personally think it is important to look beyond one's department (or discourse community) /comfort zone, to find answers to any problem in education.

Good luck!

-Sus

Kara's blog said...

Your topic sounds very interesting! I have noticed many commonalities in English and Art as well...both are very subjective in the grading process. I think there are many places you can take this topic as well. Good luck!

Appplication of Contemplation said...

To the Ladies of the panel, thank you for your comments because it really helps to see different perspectives on my topic :)

I think the integration of personal experiences will help connect concerns of the stretch of comparison and my assumpsion that it is hard for teachers to trust theorists when it comes to changing their educational practice (perhaps looking into other factors that teachers face like testing).

A note to all: please comment it really helps and I will do the same :)

Good luck to all!